Amazon prime video is slowly and gradually gaining popularity. Since years, Netflix had been the most popular application for streaming movies, TV shows and documentaries. But now, Netflix has a tough competition. With this rate, it wouldn’t be shock if Amazon prime video takes away the throne.
The Problem – Amazon Prime Video incompatible with Chromecast
There are plenty of built-in apps in chromecast that lets you stream content from various platforms. But, chromecast is incompatible with Amazon instant video and Amazon prime videos. So, there is no official way through which you can stream Amazon prime videos on you TV sets through chromecast.
In order to stream it on TV sets, a lot of people buy fire TV or fire stick TV. But, buying a fire TV isn’t convenient enough and most people won’t prefer it. Hence, we will tell a step-by-step method through which you can stream Amazon prime videos on your TV through chromecast.
The Solution – Stream Amazon Prime Videos through Chromecast and a PC
If you’re someone who wants to stream Amazon prime content on their TV but don’t want to buy an Amazon fire TV or stick TV, you’re at the right place.
Things You’ll Need
An android TV will work as well but if you don’t have one, you must buy a chromecast. Through chromecast, you can stream any internet content on your television including Amazon prime TV. Although chromecast does not support prime TV officially but you can still stream it through desktop method. Chromecast must be connected to the TV as well as a local network.
You can go for windows, MAC or even a chromebook. All three of them will work. PC must be connected with the same network as the chromecast. Make sure you use Google chrome as the browser.
At last, you’ll need to have a TV because that is where you’ll be streaming the content.
- Connect your PC to the same local network as the chromecast or android TV.
- Now, turn on your PC and launch Google chrome.
- Open Amazon instant video or your Amazon prime account and pick your desired movie or show.
- Select the icon with three dots on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on “cast”.
- You can now see devices that are cast capable. Select chromecast from the detected devices.
- Once you’ve selected the device and clicked on “cast”, the movie or show will start playing on your television screen. Now, sit back and enjoy it on the big screen.
You can select the video quality upto 1080p as per your internet speed. You can mute or unmute the video but for changing the volume level you’ll have to use the TV remote.
Casting Through Browser
The biggest advantage with casting through browser is that it lets you cast instant video and prime video content on TV without a Amazon fire TV. All you’ll need is a TV, a PC and a Google chromecast.
Secondly, you can cast any web content through chromecast. Just open up the respective tab and play the content while you’re connected to the chromecast. So, not just prime video content, you can cast any desired web content through it.
For most people 1080p will be a satisfactory video quality. But, there are several prime videos that are available in even 4k. You won’t be able to cast videos in 4k even if your internet speed and TV supports it.
Secondly, the audio quality and bit rate might be lower in even less resolutions. This is why a default dedicated app is much better than casting through a browser.
Casting From an Android Mobile
Casting from a mobile device is the most convenient way to cast prime video on TV. A lot of people don’t own a laptop or a PC and even if they do, some of them aren’t compatible enough. Casting through mobile is the same as casting from a PC. The only difference is that you won’t be casting through a browser and will the prime video app instead.
Here’s a step by step procedure to do so:-
- Firstly, go to playstore and download the official Amazon prime video app. Amazon has finally launched the official app in the Google Playstore which wasn’t available for a very long period. You can also install it from the Amazon appstore if you wish to.
- Once installed, open up the app and enter your login credentials. You must be a prime video member to do so.
- Most of you might have already installed the Google home application but if you haven’t, install it from Google playstore.
- Now, open the Google home app. From the top let corner, select menu.
- Now, click on “cast screen/audio”.
- Select the TV which is connected to the chromecast. That’s it, your mobile screen will be mirrored and you can enjoy the content on your TV screen.
Disadvantages of Casting through Mobile
The only drawback with casting through mobile is that the video will be streamed with large black bars on left and right side of the TV screen. The black bars will be even larger if the screen size of your mobile is large.
You cannot zoom the video to cover up the black bars. Although the watching experience will be less enjoyable but it still pretty watchable.
As of now, there isn’t a proper dedicated option for Amazon prime video to cast through chromecast. So the only way you can cast it is by either casting through a desktop browser or mirroring the mobile screen. With both ways, the video quality and bit rate can get considerably low. Nothing can beat a dedicated option which Amazon will probably launch in the near future.
This was a tutorial through which you can cast Amazon prime video on TV and enjoy your favorite movies and TV shows on an even bigger screen without buying an Amazon fire TV.